Hi! I'm Molly. Thanks for reading my very first blog post here. You might be wondering why I titled my blog "Lana y lino." Well, "lana y lino" translates into Spanish as "wool and flax." Proverbs 31 in the Bible says of excellence in women, "She selects wool and flax, and works with eager hands." Clearly I'm not about to go gather wool and flax to make clothing for my family, but in the past two years I've been mentally and actually transitioning from one work to another. My "wool and flax," so to speak, in college and for six years afterwards, has been the teaching of Spanish. Now, as a stay at home mom, my "wool and flax" is my home and family, and primarily, taking care of my nine month old son.
|Isn't he cute?|
More likely, though, I'll return to teaching. I'm surely not done yet. I purposefully said my most recent year of teaching in the previous paragraph instead of my last year teaching because I have no intention of staying out of the workforce forever. Teaching is an excellent profession to pair with raising a family. Schedules line up and mindsets line up. The kiddos are in a stage of growth, and the teachers work to help them grow. When my children (hopefully, more will come to add to the one we have now) are beginning school I will be delighted to return to teaching. I miss it. It's August and my teacher friends are posting to Facebook about the beginning of the school year. When they go back, I'll still be here. I feel it as something of a loss still, even after a year at home, even though what I gave it up for is precious beyond words.
|Seriously, isn't he adorable?|
This blog is about my "wool and flax." It's about my life's work - my service to my family and my service to others. My life's work is a dynamic thing. It was teaching. Now it's my husband and my son. One day, it will likely be both. I am hoping to use this blog as a way to reflect on what I'm learning about being a mom, and practice skills that will be helpful to me in my future teaching. I think that this blog will be part "mom blog" and part something else.
These are just a few things that you may see in this blog. This list is for you, to decide if you want to follow me, but it's also for me, to give me direction.
Stuff you may see here:
- Reflections on important moments as a mom (my birth story, reflections on my son's milestones, important life events)
- Random Spanish lessons to satiate some of my teaching desire (may share .pdf files if I can figure out how - if you are a teacher you are welcome to use them), and reflections on what I can learn about parenting from my teaching experience
- My favorites from social media - especially recipes or home organization tips (hey, something's gotta hold me accountable for not overusing Pinterest ... what if I only pinned things that I actually planned to do???)
- Book reviews - especially parenting books, maybe other books
- Reflections on our family's choices as a parent (feeding, diapering, sleeping, playing, learning)
That's it for now! Thank you so much for reading my first blog entry. It's a window into my soul. You honor me by stopping by. I appreciate it. I'd love if you left a comment. Share your blog link, if you blog!