I've been tossing around the idea of having daily themes to meditate on in order to live more effectively and joyfully. The theme that I have been lingering on for Mondays is FOCUS.
Originally I had written down the expression "One thing at a time" as something of a personal challenge, because I have a tendency to multitask in situations where I really shouldn't be multitasking. But that expression, while valid - valiant even - weighed on me a little too heavily, more like a burden rather than a blessing.
So, keeping it simple, I'm lingering on the word "focus". Some thoughts on what I would love for this to look like:
- Giving my son my full attention as much as I can. Enjoying him.
- Looking up from my phone once in awhile. Do I really need to be zoned in on my Facebook news feed right now?
- Keeping my to-do list short by doing quick tasks as they come to me, rather than overwhelming myself by putting a million "send this text, send that email" items on the list.
- Remembering when sending said messages that people are not bullet points on my to-do list. Actually focus on the people I engage with - be present with them - don't just be waiting to move on to the next "thing" on my list.
- Pausing more often. Leaving space for breathing, for reflection, for hearing God's whispers. My life can feel so busy sometimes, so full - but not the good kind, the satisfied fullness - the rushed kind.
- In the end I want to be focused, but on the right things. Good and beautiful things.
Monday's daily theme: Focus. :)