Saturday, July 2, 2016

Refuge under his wings

I have a thing about hawks.  For years, it seems that I've been seeing them on the road at moments when I'm down.  When I see the hawk, I am reminded of how God watches over me and I feel encouraged.  It's kinda weird and I'm wary about falling into being superstitious about stuff like this, but I feel lifted up in those moments.  I've come to the conclusion that God uses little experiences like this to encourage and lift me up when I need to have my faith bolstered.

Today I was driving home from visiting family and thinking about heaven.  I was feeling grateful that my future is secure.  I was thinking about how I want my friends and family there with me.  Then, there was a sudden feeling of doubt as I imagined a future where we just drift off to sleep, and then emptiness.  A sad darkness.  I had stayed in that emotional spot for only a few seconds before I saw to my right the wide and beautiful wingspan of a hawk alight on a very close speed limit sign, tucking its wings around itself just as I'm passing the sign.  Its head seems tilted towards me as I drive past.

The words that come to my mind are, He will wrap you in the shelter of his wings.  It's amazing to me how often experiences like this happen.  Some people may attribute these moments to coincidence, but I recognize it as God speaking to me.

"He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge." (Psalm 91:4)

 I'm thankful for this encouragement!

No comments:

Post a Comment