Thursday, August 31, 2017

I am on a journey from brokenness to wholeness...

I am on a journey from brokenness to wholeness.

I'm early to counselling today.  I have a few minutes to think in the car.  A lyric from a song that I heard on KLOVE pops into my head - O come to the altar...  I've been meaning to look that song up so that I could listen to it again, and I think about looking it up on youtube now to listen to it before my appointment, but something distracts me (erm, was it facebook?  or was it time to go inside? I don't remember.)  The song fades from my mind.


On the way home from counselling, I'm listening to the radio again and reflecting on what was brought into the light.  My mind wanders to a conversation my husband and I had.  We were talking about how we are when we reach the end of ourselves, and whether being at that point at the end of the day means that we have failed in some way.

The familiar buildings of the commercial intersection closest to our home are passing me by and the radio is saying,  Are you hurting and broken within?  Overwhelmed by the weight of your sin?  Jesus is calling...

The music flows over me and brings quiet, a gently pressing blanket, a soothing silence in the midst of the peaceful melody, and the radio continues: Have you come to the end of yourself?  Do you thirst for a drink from the well?  Jesus is calling...

The lyrics wash over me, buoyed up on the gently rising melody and I'm rising up with it.  I'm expectant.

The radio continues,

O come to the altar
The Father's arms are open wide
Forgiveness was bought with
The precious blood of Jesus Christ...

What a surprising joy, a beautiful gift of God, to hear this song, right now.  He knows what I need, when I need it.  I want to write more tonight, but instead, I'll just let the rest of the lyrics speak for themselves.

Leave behind your regrets and mistakes
Come today there's no reason to wait
Jesus is calling...

Bring your sorrows and trade them for joys
From the ashes a new life is born
Jesus is calling...

O come to the altar
The Father's arms are open wide
Forgiveness was bought with
The precious blood of Jesus Christ

O come to the altar
The Father's arms are open wide
Forgiveness was bought with
The precious blood of Jesus Christ

Oh what a Savior
Isn't he wonderful
Sing Aleluia, Christ is risen

Bow down before him
for he is Lord of All
Sing Aleluia, Christ is risen

Oh what a Savior
Isn't he wonderful
Sing Aleluia, Christ is risen

Bow down before him
for he is Lord of All
Sing Aleluia, Christ is risen

O come to the altar
The Father's arms are open wide
Forgiveness was bought with
The precious blood of Jesus Christ

O come to the altar
The Father's arms are open wide
Forgiveness was bought with
The precious blood of Jesus Christ

---

"O Come to the Altar"
Elevation Worship

No comments:

Post a Comment